Scheduled scan not showing infected files

Discussions relating to ClamXav

Moderator: Mark

Scheduled scan not showing infected files

Postby nuke » Sun 13 Aug 2017 5:54 pm

I've just posted this question to the support page but thought I'd ask here too as the forum used to be much faster.

In the past when I ran the scheduled scan there would be a notification if ClamXav found anything.

Since the second week of July, the scheduled scan has found 2 virus infected files (may be false positives as the files are old) but there has been no notification of finding the infected files except in the log.

I don't normally check the logs but did today and noticed the infected files. So for about 5 weeks ClamXav has found potential virus infected files, but I had no idea that anything was amiss. This seems totally silly. Why have the ability to schedule a scan, find something, and not tell the user to do something about it? It shouldn't be for the user to check the log every day to see if ClamXav has found anything.

I'm assuming that somewhere along the way I've changed some setting/preference.

So, what do I have to select/unselect in order for the scheduled scan to notify me that it has found some sort of infected file?

N.B. the files were also not moved to the quarantine folder either. I've set the quarantine folder and Sentry has moved files in the past so I've assumed that still works.
nuke

Re: Scheduled scan not showing infected files

Postby alvarnell » Sun 13 Aug 2017 9:34 pm

I know you've already received an answer from the help desk, but in case somebody else stumbles across this question...

With scheduled scans there has actually never been an option to quarantine or notify of infected files. The only option available has been for the scan log to be displayed after a scheduled scan has completed.

It sounds like you may be thinking of ClamXAV Sentry....
-Al-
--
iMac(21.5-inch, Mid 2011) 2.8GHz Intel Core i7/OSX 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.12.6 & 10.13.6/ClamXAV v3.0.9 (7713)/0.100.2_01
iMac(Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 4.2GHz Intel Core i7/macOS 10.12.6, 10.13.6 & 10.14.5/ClamXAV v3.0.11 (7899)/0.101.2_09
alvarnell
Site Admin

Postby nuke » Mon 14 Aug 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks Al.

Yes, I was probably thinking about Sentry. I also expect that someone will say that Sentry covers everything real time and that scheduled scans aren't necessary. But that assumes that Sentry is set up correctly in the first place and also that Clamav/ClamXav have virus definitions for the threat at the download. ie. a file can be downloaded and pass OK with Sentry but could be actually not OK when the definitions are updated. So you do have run scheduled scans to catch those issues.

Anyway, running scheduled scans and finding an issue should do more to inform the user than just log the result.

I think this is an important enhancement that should be made to the software.

What good is running a scheduled scan if you don't create a notification to tell the user that it found something??
nuke

Postby alvarnell » Mon 14 Aug 2017 8:47 pm

nuke wrote:I also expect that someone will say that Sentry covers everything real time and that scheduled scans aren't necessary.
Well I wouldn't say that. Sentry should catch all known malware that arrives on you computer, but it can't find something it doesn't know about yet. As you stated, once the malware has been identified and definitions updated, then your scheduled scan of the infected area will pick that up.

What good is running a scheduled scan if you don't create a notification to tell the user that it found something??
That's why I enable the option to open the Scan Log after the scheduled scan completes, so that I can be certain that nothing was FOUND.

I believe that notification has already been requested as an enhancement and is under consideration for a future version.
-Al-
--
iMac(21.5-inch, Mid 2011) 2.8GHz Intel Core i7/OSX 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.12.6 & 10.13.6/ClamXAV v3.0.9 (7713)/0.100.2_01
iMac(Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 4.2GHz Intel Core i7/macOS 10.12.6, 10.13.6 & 10.14.5/ClamXAV v3.0.11 (7899)/0.101.2_09
alvarnell
Site Admin

Postby nuke » Mon 14 Aug 2017 9:25 pm

alvarnell wrote:I believe that notification has already been requested as an enhancement and is under consideration for a future version.

That would be great! Thanks for your help and for sharing the info!
nuke

Return to ClamXav