Problem Installing Helper Tool

Discussions relating to ClamXav

Moderator: Mark

Problem Installing Helper Tool

Postby alvarnell » Thu 03 Aug 2017 5:37 am

A small number of users have reported issues while attempting a new installation of ClamXAV v2.14. After registration, ClamXAV puts up a dialog saying that it needs to install a new Helper Tool and asks for the admin user password. Upon clicking the "Install Helper" button, ClamXAV quits.

Testing has confirmed that this occurs when the boot volume has been configured as "Case Sensitive". Mac volumes have always been case-preserving but case-insensitive. It's a fairly unique setup, but it's nice because it means you can have a file name with a mixture of upper and lowercase letters, and it doesn't matter how you try to access it.

On a case-sensitive disk, you can still have filenames with mixed case, but the case must match when you try to access the files again. Case-sensitive disks also have a curious thing where you can have two files with the exact same name differing only in their capitalisation. Case sensitive disks are generally more confusing in the long-run which is why Apple disables it by default.

There is no work-around (short of erasing and reconfiguring the drive). It means there will need to be a new version of ClamXAV which is currently being tested. If you have this issue you can either wait a day or two for it's release or contact the Help Desk and ask for the Case Sensitive test version now, if there is some reason you cannot wait.

I'll post a link to the download here, once released.
-Al-
--
iMac(21.5-inch, Mid 2011) 2.8GHz Intel Core i7/OS X 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.12.6 & 10.13.6/ClamXAV v3.0.9 (7713)/0.100.2_01
iMac(Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 4.2GHz Intel Core i7/macOS 10.12.6, 10.13.6 & 10.14.3/ClamXAV v3.0.9 (7713)/0.100.2_01
alvarnell
Site Admin

Return to ClamXav