Malware Question

Discussions relating to ClamXav

Moderator: Mark

Malware Question

Postby fearvirus » Tue 04 Apr 2017 8:59 pm

I was reading an article at MacWorld which claimed that malware was increasing on the Mac, and mentioned other applications that could be bought and used. I'm wondering, does ClamXav help to find and remove malware, or should I be thinking about buying other applications?
fearvirus

Re: Malware Question

Postby alvarnell » Tue 04 Apr 2017 9:15 pm

To quote the website:
ClamXav is a trusted and highly recommended anti-virus and malware scanner for Mac OS X with the ability to detect both Mac and Windows threats.

Can I ask what is it you think ClamXav is doing for you?

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the term Malware which is an umbrella term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software, including computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, adware, scareware, and other malicious programs.[source]

Using the technical definition of a computer virus, there are no known viruses that can impact macOS/OS X or it's applications and there never has been, so the only thing ClamXav is looking for is Windows Viruses and all other types of Malware (including Mac malware).

Perhaps a change in your user name here is in order ;-)
-Al-
--
21.5" iMac Quad-core i7 / Mac OS X 10.9.5, 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.12.6 & 10.13 / ClamXAV 2.15.2 (ClamAV® 0.99.2 update 28)
alvarnell
Site Admin

Re: Malware Question

Postby fearvirus » Tue 04 Apr 2017 9:58 pm

Well, thank you. You have made me feel a lot better. I don't know much about this kind of thing. I was wondering if I had to go out and buy other products.
fearvirus

Return to ClamXav