There are two ways to obtain and install ClamXav.
- Via the Mac App Store or
- From this website.
If you get it from the App Store, you can jump straight to the overview. if you want to download it from here, see the following instructions.
- Download the ClamXav disk image from ClamXav.com
- Drag ClamXav.app from the disk image into your Applications folder (or wherever you like)
- Eject the ClamXav disk image
- Double click ClamXav.app
- At this point, you may or may not be prompted to install or update the ClamAV scanning engine (See Building Your Own Engine if you want to build ClamAV yourself)
- If so, click "Install" and follow the onscreen instructions. Once the installer has finished, double click ClamXav.app again
If you get ClamXav from the App Store, you should use the App Store to stay up-to-date.
- If you downloaded ClamXav through this website, launch it and go to the ClamXav menu, then select "Check for ClamXav Updates…" and follow the prompts.
- If that doesn't work, first of all make sure ClamXav Sentry is not running, by going to the menu and selecting Quit.
- Then download the ClamXav disk image from ClamXav.com
- Follow the instructions above as per a fresh installation.
When you launch ClamXav, you'll be presented with the main window. It contains five primary sections:
- Source List
- Infection List
- Status Area
The toolbar at the top of the window allows quick access to frequently performed actions - it can be customised from the View menu.
The source list on the left hand side allows you to keep a list of favourite items to scan.
The infection list on the upper right hand side shows details of any infected files found during a scan.
The console area on the lower right of the window gives verbose output about what ClamXav is doing.
The status area is the bar at the very bottom of the window. Initially, it displays the version of ClamXav and your current ClamAV scanning engine installation. It changes during a scan to show which file is currently being examined. To the right of this is a progress bar to give an indication of how many files in your selection are still waiting to be scanned.
- Make sure you're connected to the internet and click "Update Definitions" from the toolbar. ClamXav will attempt to connect to the ClamAV website to download and install new Virus definitions contain all the information needed to allow ClamXav to recognise viruses.virus definitions.
- Wait until you see "Update Finished" appear in the console area at the bottom of the window.
- Select an item to scan from the source list on the left or click the plus (+) button at the bottom to add a different file or folder to the list. Alternatively, drag a file or folder into the window from the Finder to scan it immediately.
- Click the "Start Scan" button. A scan can be aborted safely at any point.
If an infected file is found, the name of the file and the name of the infection it contains will be displayed in the "Infection List" in the top half of the window.
If a file shows up in the Infection List, don't worry. There are a number of options avilable to you.
Select the infected file from the list and then go to the File menu » Infection List and choose one of the options:
- Show Path
- Reveal in Finder
Be very careful with the Quarantine and Delete options as both of these will move the file on your hard disk. If the file in question is an email or part of a mailbox, you probably don't want to delete or quarantine it.
Please consider making a donation if you like my software.