7zip_setup.exe adware.lbryte-54

Discussions relating to ClamXav

Moderator: Mark

7zip_setup.exe adware.lbryte-54

Postby gomi » Wed 29 May 2013 1:30 pm

Jello all, not real MAC savy so needed to ask a question. Not to reinvent the wheel in case it has been asked/answered/posted and I missed it - here goes. Re the subject line came up after I installed ClamXav saying 1 virus was found but left there for me to do something with it. My first instinct was just drag to trash and empty trash; however, some of the posts I read said to do that "could" be dangerous to the HD. That confused me since I thought the MAC were pretty much "apart" from getting a virsus and this "one" was just sitting there looking "stupid" and not bothering anything. My computer started spinning round and round getting slower and slower in all engines I was using, chrome, safari, firefox, etc., so I thought hmmmmmm could it be a " V I R U S"? Took my MAC to the Apple Store genius bar and they really were no help. Do I drag the file to trash to dispose of it and empty, do nothing or what? Any help would be appreciated. Is there a particular way I should "turn on" Clam so it is checking my files everyday? Thanks great site and would like to donate but don't like using PayPal, can I send a check somewhere? Pleased as Pie so far! oh btw - HELP! :D
gomi

Re: 7zip_setup.exe adware.lbryte-54

Postby alvarnell » Wed 29 May 2013 2:05 pm

gomi wrote:the subject line came up after I installed ClamXav saying 1 virus was found but left there for me to do something with it. My first instinct was just drag to trash and empty trash; however, some of the posts I read said to do that "could" be dangerous to the HD.
That would depend somewhat on what the file was. If it was an e-mail, for instance, then you could damage the Mailbox index, but if it's just something from your Download folder, it would be OK to delete it.
My computer started spinning round and round getting slower and slower in all engines I was using, chrome, safari, firefox, etc., so I thought hmmmmmm could it be a " V I R U S"?
The file name indicates this is Windows malware and the infection name (which is actually Adware.Ibryte-54) does not have the letters "OSX" in it, so it is harmless to your computer, but you wouldn't want to accidentally send it to a Windows user, so it should be removed. It is not the cause of your computer slowing down.
Do I drag the file to trash to dispose of it and empty, do nothing or what?
See Dealing with infected files.
Is there a particular way I should "turn on" Clam so it is checking my files everyday?
See Schedule preferences.
would like to donate but don't like using PayPal, can I send a check somewhere?
Send a Private Message (PM) to Mark by going here and ask him.
-Al-
--
21.5" iMac Quad-core i7 / Mac OS X 10.9.4 / ClamXav 2.6.4 (AppStore & Web) w/ClamAV® 0.98.4
17" iMac G5 / Mac OS X 10.5.8 / ClamXav 2.5.1 / ClamAV® 0.97.8
alvarnell
Site Admin

Return to ClamXav