ClamXav is a free virus scanner for Mac OS X. It uses the very popular ClamAV open source antivirus engine as a back end and has the ability to detect both Windows and Mac threats.
ClamXav can be setup up as passive or active: scan only the files you tell it to or your entire hard drive, whichever you prefer; you can also choose to activate Sentry to monitor your hard drive and scan new files as they arrive.
- Clean, simple-to-use interface
- Clearly lists infected files
- Free virus definitions (usually updated daily)
- Save your favourite scan locations for easy access
- Customise the toolbar - or hide it entirely
- Send selected files to quarantine or trash with one click
- Specify files to exclude using plain text* or by using drag & drop from the Finder
- Specify schedules to update virus definitions and perform scans
- Use ClamXav Sentry to monitor your hard drive and scan new files as they arrive†
- Use the bundled ClamAV engine or bring your own installation†
- Compatible with Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 and OS X 10.9 Mavericks
* You can still use regular expressions if you want the extra flexibility.
† Feature not available in the App Store version.